Health Blogger Spotlight: Timea Jones, 'Train Strong to Live Strong'

My interviewee today is the lovely Timea Jones who runs the fitness blog Train Strong to Live Strong. I love meeting other health bloggers and hearing their story, and Timea has a great story to tell! So let's get to know her a little better...


Hi Timea! Please tell us a little about yourself.
I am a keen runner, self-confessed gym addict, wanna-be online trainer, and a new-ish fitness blogger from Hungary. Whilst writing is my true passion, being a Human Resources Advisor is my profession, at big financial services firm.

I usually start my day doing a trail run, or flipping enormous truck tyres in my local gym. It is not unusual for me to be covered in mud from head to toe. Many people would never guess this though, by the time I arrive in the office, I am transformed into the perfect office angel (sausaged into a tight pencil skirt and high heels).

I live in rural Buckinghamshire with my Hubby of 5 years, and our two fur-babies, Holly and Lydia. They are the naughtiest Siberian Forest cats and you should totally say 'hello' to them on Instagram @the_furminators.

Why did you start your blog and what can visitors expect to read there?

I have had my blog for a couple of years, but kept it as a hobby and used it as an outlet to write about my running and fitness adventures mainly for my own pleasure.
However, when I marginally missed out on a promotion at work in March 2016, it led me to look at my values and do some soul-searching about what I am really passionate about in life and what I truly stand for. The answer was clear: that I do not want to be stuck in a desk job for the rest of my life dealing with 'problem children' in the world of disciplinaries, grievances, redundancy projects and performance improvement plans. Therefore I decided to invest more time and energy into my blog to see where this would take me.

On my blog, I love writing about all things fitness and enjoy exploring topics around peak performance and resilience through developing the mindset of an athlete. 

What do you enjoy most about running a fitness blog?
People have said to me that I have a gift for writing and teaching. Some of my friends look at me as a life-coach in some ways. By engaging with people through my writing I feel I can make a more positive impact on their lives and be their go-to expert on the latest fitness and health 'know-how', bringing practical and actionable content to help them take their game to the next level.
Blogging has opened up a whole new world to me, I have enjoyed meeting and learning from other bloggers and like-minded people in various blogger communities. I also enjoy collaborating with healthy food brands, local gyms and health professionals.
Last, but not least, I have found blogging to be an excellent self-developmental tool, too - in my day job I rarely have the opportunity to be creative, but blogging is an excellent platform to unleash creativity. It feels like I am using parts of my brain now which have been dormant for a long time! I am also acquiring very useful and transferable new skills such as marketing, branding, research, influencing, project management, website development and even coding(!)

What do you feel is your greatest achievement in life?
So far I would say it was building a whole new life in England from scratch. When I moved here in 2007 from Hungary to find a better life after finishing university, I literally started at ground zero. I came here knowing no one but my English boyfriend (who is now my Hubby), had no job but just enough money in my pocket to keep me going for about two months tops. It was a real gamble. I started my new life living in a tiny hole above a noisy baguette shop, doing some casual work there to keep myself going until I finally found a decent office job. Through sheer determination and will, I managed to work my way up in different jobs, even gained some new qualifications here in the UK. Now I am a very happy wife and home owner. 
If you could give people only one piece of health advice, what would it be?
Move every day. Find an activity or sport you love doing so exercising will never feel like a chore and you will keep wanting to do more of it. That's the only way. 

And what's the most ridiculous piece of health/diet advice you've ever heard?
Weight loss pills, tea-tox products, slimming shoes, special magnetic bracelets with health boosting properties - unfortunately, many people still fall for these. I guess my mission as a fitness blogger is to help people look behind the glossy advertisements and educate them so they can make the right choices for themselves. 

Now a quickfire round! Choose one...
Cardio or weights? Weights - I have experienced the most dramatic physical transformation in myself through working with heavier weights. Running is the only form of cardio which I enjoy, mainly due to its mood boosting effects.
Olive oil or coconut oil? Coconut oil - I just love the smell when I cook with it!
Summer or winter? Definitely summer - I find winters here in the UK quite bleak.
Organic or fairtrade? Fairtrade - trying to look for the logo when buying coffee, tea and chocolate.
Green juices or pink smoothies? Pink smoothies - although sometimes I do sneak some spinach or kale into fruit smoothies for some extra goodness. 


Finally, what are your plans for the future? Do you have any specific goals for your life or your blog?
My ultimate goal is to design fitness and peak performance related online courses and workout programmes to generate some extra income through my blog. I am also planning to re-enter the Register of Exercise Professionals and refresh my Level 3 personal trainer qualification so that I can be viewed as a trusted fitness professional on my blog and teaching my future online courses. How and when I will fit it all in, is another question of course!

Find Timea at these links: BlogTwitter | Instagram 
Are you a health or fitness blogger and fancy being interviewed for Nic's Healthy Life? Get in touch with me via Twitter or drop me an email at nicspirational@gmail.com - I'd love to hear from you!

If you liked this post, you might also enjoy:

Follow Me!