Six Things I Hate About Blogging


To someone on the outside, blogging can look pretty glamorous. Readers only see the finished product - perfectly polished posts, pretty pictures, invites to events and free samples of new products to write about.

But we bloggers know better, don't we? Having a blog isn't always a walk in the park. So here are my six least favourite things about being a blogger. I'm hoping most of you are able to relate to these so I know I'm not alone in my frustrations!
 
1. Writer's block
I get this a lot. I want my blog to be unique, and it's really hard to keep coming up with ideas for posts that haven't already been done a million times. Also, because I'm a perfectionist I want every post to be great so I just scrap a lot of ideas that I do come up with, thinking they're not good enough. 
 
2. Bad lighting
A good blog needs good photos, and you might have noticed that during the winter months in the UK we don't get much sunlight and the days are shorter – not exactly the perfect conditions for taking a great picture. Even in the summer, I seem to be endlessly waiting for a cloud to pass before I can snap a few pics. The struggle is real, my friends.  
 
3. The pressure...oh, the pressure
Admittedly, most of it is pressure I put on myself to write decent posts consistently and keep people interested, but then there's also the pressure from companies who've sent you samples emailing to ask why your review isn't up yet. Chill out, I only received your product two days ago and the lighting hasn't been good enough for me to take any pictures of it.
 
4. Lack of social life
When I don't actually have writer's block and am on a blogging roll, I want to stay in the zone and so will sit at home bashing out posts, taking pictures and editing until I'm happy with the finished product. Does anyone else not see their friends as often as before they started a blog?

5. Promotion
If you actually want people to read your blog, you need to let them know it exists. And you have to promote every single post on like 100 social media sites. Scheduling tweets etc is time consuming and definitely one of the least fun parts of blogging.

6. Insecurity
Will people like this post? What if they don't? What if someone tries my recipe and hates it? It's even worse when I'm writing a guest post, which is one reason I don't do it much anymore. The other person might hate it so much they can't bring themselves to put it on their site! (This is unlikely, but it still goes through my head). Argh, it's all just so stressful!
 
After reading this list, you're probably wondering why I actually choose to torture myself like this. But if you're a blogger you'll understand. The reason is because blogging is just so rewarding. I love writing, I'm passionate about what I write about and I'm so grateful for the good feedback I receive from people who read my blog. It makes it all worth it in the end.
 
What are your least favourite things about blogging? Tell me in the comments!

If you liked this post, you might enjoy:
Five Things I Hate About the Health & Fitness Industry






Follow Me!

12 comments:

  1. Completely relate to some of these things! Scheduling tweets feels really soul destroying sometimes, but I know it's essential to keep my content out there and getting click throughs. Even designing pins for Pinterest used to be fun and now feels a chore when you have to design several for each piece of content!

    However I definitely don't let my blog get in the way of my social life. Perhaps I'm not dedicated to it as much as you, but with a full time job as well it's important to me I keep the balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Vicky! I HATE scheduling tweets; it's so tedious but like you say it's a necessary evil if you want to keep people clicking through to your blog :)

      Delete
  2. It can be time consuming, but I think it’s definitely okay to take a break if you feel like it’s getting in the way of your social life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Laura, I don't have a social life anyway ;)

      Delete
  3. One thing I dislike about blogging is writers block , makes my mind go blank. I'll have an idea then all of sudden my mind goes blank like why? Lol. What I've learned about writers block is to not overthink it too much...

    Much love,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh I hate writer's block! It's so hard to come up with new ideas for things to write about 5 times a week, especially for a niche blog.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I can definitely relate to this!! Scheduling tweets is definitely tedious - I offer it as a blogger service if you were ever interested ;) Haha. Bad lighting is the bane of my life, too! x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Aimee!

      Delete
  5. Writer's block is definitely something I get quite often, then when I think of a good post I go through the paranoia that no one will read it :/. Scheduling tweets is probably the least enjoyable part of it too, on the plus side of lighting for photos it's getting lighter in the evenings now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same! "What if I've done all this work for nothing?" Lol. Yes, thank God it's getting lighter now, taking photos is a lot easier in the summer! x

      Delete
  6. You pretty much covered them all. I troll social media trying to find conversations that relate to something I have written and then I quickly provide a link to that topic on the blog. I have gotten several hits like that. I also tell myself that if I create enough good posts I will eventually get noticed. Also, the longer I write the good ones I accumulate and eventually it will pay off. I am a weekly pub but I am constantly on the look out for little quips etc to fill in the "empty days" so they don't entirely forget me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some great ideas there - thanks, Jon!

      Delete

Copyright Nic's Healthy Life 2015-17. Powered by Blogger.