Ten Easy Ways to Have More Energy

09:00

Kids seem to have endless amounts of energy. Especially when it's time to go to bed. Unfortunately though, the older we get, the less energy we seem to have. Our age, as well as the stresses of daily life and an unhealthy lifestyle, can all take their toll.

It doesn't have to be that way though. Try these simple tricks to get yourself more energised:

1. It may seem unlikely, but getting up earlier is the number one way to have more energy.  Sleeping in will make you feel groggy and take you longer to get going. Set your alarm and get up as soon as it goes off. Don't keep pressing the snooze button as this will mess up your sleep cycle and prevent you from feeling refreshed.

2. Don't skip breakfast. Your blood sugar is at its lowest first thing in the morning, so it's important to eat at this time. Try a mix of protein and complex carbs, for example scrambled egg on wholemeal toast. And take your time; don't grab something on your way out the door. Sit for a while and plan your day as you eat.

3. Cut out caffeine. Don't worry, you can still have your morning cup of coffee if you must. Just don't rely on caffeine to keep you going all day long. It causes a temporary high followed by a crash, which leaves you craving more caffeine. It's a vicious cycle.

4. Drink plenty of water. Dehydration causes drowsiness. Aim for eight glasses throughout the day.

5. If you're stuck indoors most of the day, it's important to get outside and get some fresh air and sunlight. Go for a walk in your lunch break.

6. Fruit and veg is full of vitamins, minerals and nutrients which will do wonders for your energy levels. Try juicing your veg or whizzing up a fruit smoothie for a fast-releasing energy hit.

7. Boost your B vitamins. These vits are water-soluble, meaning we lose them through our pee on a daily basis and can become deficient. This is bad news for our energy, among other things. Take a vitamin B complex supplement containing all eight B vitamins to keep your levels topped up.

8. Snack on nuts and seeds instead of cake and chocolate. They will provide longer lasting energy rather than a sugar rush and subsequent crash. They'll also provide you with nutrients instead of the empty calories junk food offers.

9. Exercise. If you're tired, this may be the last thing you feel like doing. But just trust me on this one. You'll feel so much better if you get your body moving.

10. Step away from social media. Turn off all stimulants - your laptop, phone, TV etc. - about an hour before bedtime to give your body a chance to wind down and get a better night's sleep. Read a book (unless it's especially gripping) or take a warm bath instead. And then go to bed at a decent hour. Because you'll be getting up early tomorrow, remember?


Do you have anything to add to this list? Let me know in the comments!

If you liked this post, you might also enjoy:
SMART Tips for Getting Fit in the New Year

 
Follow Me!

8 comments:

  1. Sleep is a really good point. I can function properly as long as I have around 8 hours sleep, I never ‘sleep in’ even at the weekends because it makes me feel groggy for the rest of the day and so much time is ‘wasted’ in bed when I can go out and do so many things. I would say laughter can be a great and instant energy-booster as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a 'morning person' but I always try not to sleep in as it just makes me feel worse. In fact, generally I've found the earlier I get up, the better I feel. Great tip about the laughter btw :)

      Delete
  2. Stepping away from social media is a great one! I definitely feel that it drains my energy levels if I'm on my phone/laptop too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can waste ages on YouTube!

      Delete
  3. Getting outside usually works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the fresh air and change of scenery can really help your energy levels :)

      Delete
  4. Great post, I really need to take some of this advice on board! I noticed that getting up at 6.30am (for a trip Christmas shopping last year) was easier than getting up at 7.30am (my usual get-up time for work) so I definitely get what you're saying about sleeping in making you groggy. At 6.30am I felt wide awake and ready to go. At 7.30am I feel like shit! I also am a nightmare for drinking water - I just don't. I swear it's why I get so many headaches, too. And whenever I'm in the stuffy office I find I crash at about 2/3pm, so I'm going to give taking a stroll around the car park a go to boost my energy levels over lunch! x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee, I'm glad you found some of these tips useful! I'm not sure of the science behind why getting up earlier makes you feel more awake, but it definitely does. Make sure you start drinking more water and getting out of the office at lunchtime and you'll feel even better! x

      Delete

Copyright Nic's Healthy Life 2015-17. Powered by Blogger.